A LONG-STANDING RELATIONSHIP HELPING NORTHPORT BE A RESPONSIBLE CORPORATE CITIZEN
4Sight's had a long and ongoing involvement with commercial port operations both at Port Whangarei and also Marsden Point, acting as an advisor on planning and environmental matters to Marsden Maritime Holdings.
Mark Poynter, our Principal Marine Ecologist, has acted as an advisor to the client on a wide range of environmental and planning issues. The team are currently involved in:
- Investigating methods for disposal of solid wastes (clean fill);
- Progressing a resource consent for stormwater system sludge disposal;
- Monitoring issues around the stormwater system's coal stockpile leachates and elevated metals;
- Overseeing stormwater system monitoring requirements including heavy metals and Whole Effluent Toxicity (WET) testing;
- Reviewing stormwater discharge, tidal, rainfall and wind data related to the collapse of the Mair Bank pipi bed at the Whangarei Harbour's entrance;
- Establishing an online compliance management system (CS-VUE) to assist the Port with the day-to-management of resource consent compliance.
We take a pragmatic approach to dealing with port-related environmental requirements. We appreciate the fact that there's often a gap between public perception of environmental effect and the reality of the effects for areas of high ecological value such as Marsden Point.
Understanding the importance of getting everyone on board, we've also taken great care to present information and engage with interested parties in a way that is technically sound but also easily understood by a wider audience. By working with Northport staff over such a long period of time, we've been able to develop a deep expertise in the area, allowing us to provide high-value advice efficiently.
The services we've provided to Northport over the years have given their management team the confidence that it's environmental and wider responsibilities as a corporate citizen are being taken seriously and continue to improve.